Local Breastfeeding Resources:
Louisiana Breastfeeding Laws:
La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 51. 2247.1 (2001) states that a mother may breastfeed her baby in any place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement, and clarifies that breastfeeding is not a violation of law, including obscenity laws. (2001 HB 377)
For more up to date information about the Louisiana Breastfeeding Laws, please click here.
If you are a nursing mother and would like to file a complaint concerning your break rights under the FLSA
Online Resource Guide for Breastfeeding Support in Louisiana
Moms can search for resources in their area.
Louisiana Workplace Breastfeeding Support Program
This program seeks to inform employers in the state about the federal law that supports breastfeeding employees. Businesses can apply to be designated as Breastfeeding-Friendly Workplaces here.
Mom-to-Mom Breastfeeding Groups:
- Black Mothers Breastfeeding Support Group: Sista Midwife Productions, provides a safe space with support from experienced moms, light refreshments and childcare. Every Monday, 6:30-8:30pm, BlackStar Caffe, 800 Belleville St. New Orleans
- Café Au Lait: A breastfeeding support group for women of color. Groups are held 1st Wednesday of each month, 6-8pm, 3rd Saturday of each month, 11am-1pm at Birthmark Perinatal Health Center Classroom 3300 South Broad St. NOLA, 70125. Look for Café au Lait Nola on Facebook!
- CHAMPS NOLA Baby Café™ : Connect with other mothers, breastfeeding assistance. Every Wednesday (except holidays) 10 am – 2:00pm. 2727 Earhart Blvd, Suite I
- La Leche League of Jefferson
La Leche League holds meetings for moms to discuss all things about breastfeeding with other moms. Anyone is invited to a meeting! Visit http://www.llljefferson.com for meeting times.
- La Leche League of New Orleans
La Leche League holds meetings for moms to discuss all things about breastfeeding with other moms. Anyone is invited to a meeting! Look for La Leche League of New Orleans on Facebook! They have evening meetings once a month on Wednesdays at 6pm and morning meetings once a month on Tuesdays at 9am (see schedule on Facebook). They meet at 3900 General Taylor Street, New Orleans, 70125 (at Broadmoor Arts & Wellness Center).
- Latch Lounge: Relax with other moms and babies, get answer to breastfeeding questions. Last Friday of each month, 9-11am , New Orleans East WIC Clinic, 5646 Read Blvd, Suite 200
- Nola Nesting: A mom to mom breastfeeding support group with a certified lactation counselor. Meetings are Wednesdays 10:30am at 3900 General Taylor.
Louisiana Breastfeeding Coalition
The LBC is a member organization with the aim of making breastfeeding the norm in Louisiana. The LBC’s website links mothers, families and all sectors of the community to breastfeeding information and resources.
The Gift is a quality improvement and certification program for Louisiana birthing facilities that is based on the best practice model to increase breastfeeding initiation, duration and support. Is your birthing center certified?
Partners for Healthy Babies
A list of Louisiana and New Orleans specific resources for breastfeeding mothers. Call 1-800-251-BABY (2229) for any baby or breastfeeding questions.
T-BEARS (Tulane Building Early Relationships Supports and Services)
T-BEARS (Tulane Building Early Relationships Support and Services) is a prevention,intervention program that helps families with concerns about their infants’ sleeping, feeding, calming, bonding or other behavior. The sessions individualized to each baby and their family. T-BEARS also provides support to parents who are stressed, overwhelmed or experiencing issues with postpartum mood. Visit http://www.tbears.org/ for more information.
Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
WIC provides certain additional foods for pregnant and breastfeeding women, and infants and children up to 5 years of age. Breastfeeding moms can get breast pumps through WIC as well. Call (504) 568-8202 for more information, or click here to find clinic locations.
A Natural Parenting Boutique located in Metairie, Louisiana. ZukaBaby specializes in breastfeeding accessories, cloth diapers, baby carriers, and natural toys.
Hospital Breastfeeding Centers/Lactation Consultants in the New Orleans area:
- Touro Infirmary: (504) 897-8130
- East Jefferson General Hospital: (504) 503-4323Ochsner Baptist Medical Center: (504) 842-5210
- Ochsner Medical Center – West Bank: (504) 391-5195
- Ochsner Medical Center – Kenner: (504) 464-8345
- Tulane-Lakeside Hospital: (504) 780-4365
- West Jefferson Medical Center: (504) 349-6004
The HMBANA Developing Milk Bank, Mothers’ MilkBank of Louisiana at Ochsner Baptist, is now open as a depot site for the Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin.
A significant number of moms with premature babies are not able to breastfeed. Donated human milk is the next best option for these babies. Donor milk banking plays an important role in meeting both the nutritional and developmental needs of premature babies, and you can help meet these needs by donating.
Mothers who would like to donate should contact Laura Tankersley at The Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin by calling 512-494-0800 or emailing email@example.com. Laura will guide you through the process, which involves a health screening and blood test. All costs are covered by the Milk Bank.
Once screening is complete, you will be able to conveniently drop off your frozen breast milk 24/7 at Ochsner Baptist located at 2700 Napoleon Avenue in New Orleans. For detailed drop off information please visit our website or call 504-703-6455 (MILK). Learn more at ochsner.org/mothersmilkbank